Re: Octal / Dynamic BGM / Indrema

From: David O'Toole
Subject: Re: Octal / Dynamic BGM / Indrema
Date: Mon Nov 27 23:24:01 2000

IIRC) I remember someone mentioning dynamic modules for games (i.e. they
change depending on events) and I thought this would be really neat if the
core player engine was ported to the Indrema, which uses Linux as the core
OS.

I don't know too much about the Indrema, although it seems like it could be a cult hit if people realize they can make their own games and such. Sort of an
amiga-rebirth I guess?

The "L" in OCTAL stands for "library". One eventual goal is to operate as a sound / music library for games that wish to avoid the uneven quality of MIDI implementations and who wish to code their own effects if neccessary. So this idea, while currently not the main focus, is certainly within the scope of this project and this is something I'd be interested in looking into. Perhaps you can ask a few developers there what their opinion is? Octal is designed to be lightweight and fast so I think they might like it, especially since most of the other projects in this area are trying to create whole Audio Operating Systems of some kind :-)

(those that know what they're talking about, anyhow <G>) that a mod format
of some sort would be ideal for BGM. I'm liking this idea a lot, and I
think Octal could become a common element to Indrema games if it doesn't
suck up too much (of a 600MHz) CPU.

A mod format that also supports pro-quality sound effects and software synthesis would indeed be pretty cool. Depending on the requirements of the song I have no doubt that a 600MHZ wouldn't be much of a problem. Unless you're doing a lot of reverb or filtering in the not-that-efficient Buzz on Windows, it still uses only a small part of the old 333MHZ I used to run it on. So this could be cool.

        The big question I have is, would the licensing work? Is there a
way to include (and provide the source for!) the Octal engine in a
commercial game, yet keeping the rest of the source closed ('cause big
game companies aren't going to release the source to their game

At the present time, Octal is GPL'ed. With reference to the library issue, sometime late 1999 I discussed GPL vs LGPL with Richard Stallman, and his opinion there was that he didn't see how making Octal LGPL would help free software. I can see that using the GPL would only be a problem for closed-source projects. Now, as I understand this, use of the GPL restricts direct linking between GPL and closed-source code. If Octal were a separate server program running as a daemon on the Indrema, and if changes to Octal were never made without full disclosure of those changes, this might not be a problem. For instance, those closed-source games can run on Linux even though the Linux kernel is GPL'ed (because of the exception for libraries provided as part of the OS.)

Plugins/machines are a different story. These link directly with Octal and run in-line with it (that is, in the same thread) so I'm not sure where this stands. In addition, there is no provision for cross-version bin-compat with respect to the plugins in OX_API. Again, I'm not sure why a game would be using a far-out patented audio algorithm, so I doubt this will be a real problem.

To sum up, I don't know :-). Has there been any discussion of licensing topics on the indrema lists? What's the opinion there ?