Re: [Taler] Balance and Transaction List UI

From: Christian Grothoff
Subject: Re: [Taler] Balance and Transaction List UI
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 2020 16:42:25 +0200

On 4/13/20 3:39 PM, Torsten Grote wrote:

> The second is for tips which are not yet supported by the wallet at all,
> so we could ignore them for now. I also don't understand why we need
> users to manually accept tips and can't receive them automatically.

It's a bit complicated, but the long version is:

1) We legally still need you to accept the ToS of the exchange,
   even if this time the merchant picked it for you and you have
   no choice; but imagine the exchange having a 'horrible'
   ToS/PP for whatever odd reason.
2) Customers may want to see the fee structure (even if it's
   "free" money), least to be surprised later if you get hit by
   high deposit fees on your tip money.
3) The exchange may not be trusted / audited in a way that is
   acceptable to the wallet, which means you may need to
   override that trust decision (likely should be a
   one-time choice, and not remembered?). While at this point
   trust in the exchange mostly has implications for merchants,
   it may imply that you cannot actually use the tip you got.
   Furthermore:
4) An evil tipper could sent you to their private exchange
   that only has you as its only customer to deanonymize your
   next purchase by feeding you coins of denominations that
   effectively only exist for you. This becomes harder if
   exchanges are audited, but would be trivial without (3).

Furthermore, Belen wrote:

> Basic question: Can exchanges provide more than one currency?

No.

Happy discussing!

-Christian