Re: [Traverso-devel] Thoughts on plugin strategy

From: Nicola Doebelin
Subject: Re: [Traverso-devel] Thoughts on plugin strategy
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 21:40:22 +0100

Am Montag, 29. Januar 2007 20:38 schrieb Remon:
> What seems important from the discussion too me is the pre/post fader
> concept. I learned that this fader thing is what is displayed as 'gain'  in
> the TrackPanel (right?)

Yes, it's the gain control of a track. Pre- and post-fader is important
because some effects require a constant signal. If they are inserted before
the fader, the effect is not altered if the gain is changed. E.g. if you want
to use a compressor as an effect to 'shape' the sound, you would insert it
pre-fader to get a constant effect. If you want to use it as a limiter
to 'protect' the output from high peaks, you would insert it post-fader.

> Showing the Fader Curve in well, let's call it 'Effects View' (?), all the
> time seems a bit of overkill, specially if you didn't 'add' it (is
> confusing for the user).
> So, since the fader seems so important, what about this:

What I don't get is: What will a plugin 'look like'? I don't mean it's GUI,
but where will I see the plugin chain, where would I re-arrange them, and how
would I call the GUI of one of them? I remember a screenshot showing pink
rectangles as place-holders for plugins. When would they be visible?
In "Effects View"? And when would the curves be visible?

Sorry if I missed the point, but I'm having problems seeing a clear concept.

Greetings,
Nic