www-pt-br-general

Re: [www-pt-br-general] Política de tradução: "Free Software Foundation"

From: Jan Owoc
Subject: Re: [www-pt-br-general] Política de tradução: "Free Software Foundation". (translation policy)
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2015 13:06:32 -0600

Hi Bruno,

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 12:58 PM, Bruno Félix Rezende Ribeiro
<address@hidden> wrote:

> In my team's mailing list we have a discussion thread[0] targeted at
> the making of a policy regarding the translation of the name "Free
> Software Foundation".  At some point, it was asked about the existence
> of an established standard for the GNU translation teams in general,
> by either the translation managers or the FSF itself.  Is there a
> policy of reasonably acceptance about this or a recommendation (more
> or less) consistently applied across languages, or are we free to
> choose whatever term seems best for our language, provided the team
> can agree upon?

I'm not aware of any standard. For the Polish pages, we actually have
two "standards":
1) when talking about the work the Foundation does, we translate the
name, giving the English abbreviation: "Fundacja Wolnego
Oprogramowania (FSF)".
2) in the copyright footers, the legal name of the Foundation is "Free
Software Foundation" - we don't translate it.

I don't remember if there was a discussion/reasoning leading up to
this, but it may have happened in the early days of the team (or
before I became coordinator).

Jan