RE: [Adonthell-general] Adonthell Rules Rough Draft

From: walther-franks
Subject: RE: [Adonthell-general] Adonthell Rules Rough Draft
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 16:00:18 +0100

Well, here's my thoughts:

First of all, for a rough draft it makes a very good impression! Everything
is kept pretty simple and definately keeps the end use for a computer rpg in
mind.

Several things now:

1) Experience: i have to agree with the others, that there shouldn't be a
theoretical limit to the level. The EP scala could be altered a bit as Kai
and ALex suggest, most importantly it needs to be checked with the monster
levels/Ep points, so that lvel advance is realistic.

2)combat ABILITIES: I like the way abilities are reduced to the necessary,
but I do see one problem. The combat abilities as they are, all except the
'fighting feat' do not really show how well a character can fight, but
merely on what equipment he can use to fight. A rise in, say, 'melee' would
not on it's own let the char fight beter, he'd need a next level weapon that
he'd have to buy/find in order to do more damage in combat. The most
powerful high-level char, stripped of all his equipment, would be as weak as
a first-level one.
Maybe we'd need some clearer thoughts on the actual combat system to work
this one out better. One way to compensate it might be to raise the overall
fighting power with each level of 'fighting feats', additional to the feat
itself, or to come up with a whole new ability. It's not that I really miss
standard rpg abilities such as strength and dexterity :) , I just think that
in some way their principle needs to be integrated.

2) magic abilities: I agree with Kai here, that the different categories of
spells should be the four elements. You could then always proclaim fire as
offensive, earth as defensive spells, water&air could share the general
spells in some way.
It is also important to keep the two ability-categories well balanced
concerning possible ranks. Nils solved this quite well with 5+2+3+3+3=16 for
combat and 5+5+5=15 for magic. With our four magic categories you could make
this completely even with 4+4+4+4=16 possible ranks in magic abilities.

3)Skills: I like the skill system. One more skill I would suggest is 'disarm
trap'.

4)At last there is only one more thing we need for the section of the rules
Nils  has started at: The differences between the races. As it is, there are
no differences at all, and a dwarf can be as good a wizard as can an elf. I
have no problem with the general thought of dwarf/human magic (contrary to
most of you, as I have gathered so far ;), but maybe there should be some
differentiation. One thing I suggest is that each race has it's own special
combat moves, that is 'fighting feats'.

Just a couple o' things I wanted to point out on your suggestions, Nils. All
in all it's a very good start! :)

BEN