Re: [Adonthell-general] Adonthell Rules Rough Draft

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-general] Adonthell Rules Rough Draft
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 16:32:03 +0100

On 29 Mar 2002 15:41:50 +0100 Alexandre Courbot wrote:

> I'm fine with it - my main suggestion is to use formulas. Also,
> limiting skills to a range from 0 to 5 seems not to be enough. As we
> are using 32 bits integer, let's take advantage of them! :)

I agree with the formulas, but I think the skill range is not too bad.
You'll have to consider that it isn't just an anonymous number, but
stands for an actual level of knowledge of the skill on a scale from
'beginner' to 'wrote the book'. I'd rather be a master smith than having
a smithing skill of 23145 ;).

Besides, I think it fits well with the teacher scenario: to improve a
skill, you'll have to find a teacher that is (a) skilled enough to train
you and (b) willing to do so. That way, mastering a skill isn't simply
done by distributing points via some stupid character screen, but it'll
become an integral part of the gameplay.

> On an implementation note, do we all agree with the following? : These
> rules would be the Adonthell's one - the GAME, not the engine. All
> these points would be implemented as character's attributes that the
> Python part of the game would access, but the C++ engine would NOT
> depend on them, and only provides methods to set/get these attributes.
> Others RP games using our engine will certainly not want to use our
> rules, and that way it will be much easier to maintain. Even a
> non-programmer would quickly learn Python and a bit of the API to
> implement himself his own thoughts.

Yes, that's the way it should be done. The role playing system should be
part of the game, not of the engine.