RE: [Adonthell-general] Adonthell Rules Rough Draft

From: walther-franks
Subject: RE: [Adonthell-general] Adonthell Rules Rough Draft
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 18:27:24 +0100

> The current combat formulas we have involve strength, dexterity and the
> like. Mike Avery did those formulas for melee battle way back. I have
> written a summery in my item draft (that nobody ever looked at, as it
> seems :P).
>
> Here's the relevant bits:

Hmm. Seems quite complicated. I'll hand that over to Nils... ;)

> > 2) magic abilities: I agree with Kai here, that the different
> > categories of spells should be the four elements. You could then
> > always proclaim fire as offensive, earth as defensive spells,
> > water&air could share the general spells in some way.
> > It is also important to keep the two ability-categories well balanced
> > concerning possible ranks. Nils solved this quite well with
> > 5+2+3+3+3=16 for combat and 5+5+5=15 for magic. With our four magic
> > categories you could make this completely even with 4+4+4+4=16
> > possible ranks in magic abilities.
>
> Well, you should take into account that magic is limited to Elves and
> Half Elves. That's compensated by alchemy and smithing skills of Dwarves
> and Humans. The point is, if you differenciate between abilities and
> skills, that means that Dwarves and Humans will always turn out as
> killing machines and may additionally have alchemistic skills and the
> like.

Don't quite get your point here. First of all: Are we all sure that humans
and dwarves shouldn't use magic at all? It makes the system quite
unbalanced, and would, on the contrary, make elves and half-elves killing
machines, since they could fight just as well as humans/dwarves AND use
magic. I don't think we should restrict it that far as to say absolutely no
magic for two races. I don't see why humans shouldn't be able to cast
spells: After all they're always supposed to be flexible and eager to learn.
Another reason why I'm pro-human-magic is that without we couldn't have the
stereotype gandalf-wizard character (elves don't have beards!!)

I don't know how determined you are on this subject. We should definately
one and for all clear the subject - we'd surely find a compromise :)
My suggestion would be for every race to have their own kind of magic. It
wouldn't even have to be called magic in all cases (except maybe for the
elves): Dwarves would be able to inscribe various magical runes (to take
your idea of smithing a little further), men would have an equivalent of
alchemy and maybe cheap magic, helf-elves a kind of nature-magic, and elves
the pure high (and most powerful) magic. Important is that every kind of
'magic' would work after the same principle, e.g. runes, potions, spells
would technically be treated as the same, and use up a characters mana. This
would make the races more balanced and keep a certain coherency.

(Another argument against no-human-dwarf-maigic would be that to make it
balanced we'd even have to cut elves fighting power, and this is neither
really fitting or cool, I think)

Just my opinion(s)

BEN