RE: [Adonthell-general] Adonthell Rules Rough Draft

From: walther-franks
Subject: RE: [Adonthell-general] Adonthell Rules Rough Draft
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 20:22:31 +0100

Hm, okay, you got me there ;)

> > I don't know how determined you are on this subject. We should
> > definately one and for all clear the subject - we'd surely find a
> > compromise :) My suggestion would be for every race to have their own
> > kind of magic. It wouldn't even have to be called magic in all cases
> > (except maybe for the elves): Dwarves would be able to inscribe
> > various magical runes (to take your idea of smithing a little
> > further), men would have an equivalent of alchemy and maybe cheap
> > magic, helf-elves a kind of nature-magic, and elves the pure high (and
> > most powerful) magic. Important is that every kind of'magic' would
> > work after the same principle, e.g. runes, potions, spells would
> > technically be treated as the same, and use up a characters mana. This
> > would make the races more balanced and keep a certain coherency.
>
> I tend to agree. Dwarven smithing skills and human alchemy have to equal
> magic skills of the other races. They would also more or less be based
> on the same ingredients and work after the same rules. I'm not sure
> whether alchemy or enhanced smithing should cost mana.
>
> Let's compare it with D&D for a moment: all D&D races are able to do
> magic. But _only_ if you chose a profession that is able to do magic.
> Leaving aside such specialities as dual-/multi class characters, your
> initial choice will determine whether a character is able to learn magic
> or not.
>
> With our system it would be different: with the initial choice for a
> race you'd get a set of talents that the chosen race has. But it is up
> to you what talents you train and finally master. That means, an Elf
> might get a skilled fighter but he needs not learn a single spell. In
> the same way, a Dwarf could turn into a skilled smith and thief, but
> everytime he swings an axe he nearly chops off his own legs.
>
> That's why I said that we shouldn't distinguish between abilities and
> skills. The reason is, if you can gain 15 'ability' points that can be
> distributed over 16 combat ability slots then your average human or
> dwarf (that can't do magic) will turn out a skilled fighter - there is
> no other way! Elves and Half-Elves OTOH, with 16 combat and 16 magic
> slots will turn out either good fighters or good mages, or they'll be
> merely average in both.
>
> However, if each race would have the same number of talent slots
> (including combat, magic/alchemy/smithing as applies and skills), then
> it's up to the player whether a character turns into a killing machine,
> or a master thief or a great wizard/alchemist/smith or rather into a
> multi-purpose character. Basically, that is what you suggested yourself,
> that we need to define what race has what skills and what the maximum
> for each skill/race will be.

Ok, now I see what you mean. Characters (of different races) would be
balanced simply because of them having the same amount of ability points.
Grouping skills with abilities would further enhance this, then. This would
only cause one problem: One ability point per level when advancing would not
be enough for the whole set of abilities (incl. skills). Then we'd have to
say something like two or three ability points per level, and this would
enable you to quickly master one ability without taking any steps inbetween
(two points on melee would make you able to handle every weapon). But there
are ways to compensate this, like max. raising an ability by one point per
level (so that with two or more ability points you could raise only two or
more abilities by one, not one ability by more, per level that is ... yahda
yahda ...).

> Since I'm talking about skills: another skill could be something like
> climbing or a more general thing describing how well somebody can
> control their body. That would affect how high they can jump/climb or
> how fast they can run or how much damage they take when falling down. As
> the mapengine will have different height levels, there'll be loads of
> opportunities where those types of skills might be handy.
>

> > (Another argument against no-human-dwarf-maigic would be that to make
> > it balanced we'd even have to cut elves fighting power, and this is
> > neither really fitting or cool, I think)
>
> That doesn't really count. As an elf wouldn't be able to gain more skill
> points than a human of the same level, he couldn't be both good at magic
> and good at fighting. Had he enough points to be good at both, that
> would only mean that the human was good at something that the elf
> couldn't do.
>

> So with the above in mind, I don't really see why 'real' magic should be
> extended to Humans and Dwarves. They'll have a reasonable alternative.
> Besides, I think magic is a very abstract business that needs loads of
> studiyng. As such it seems fitting with the kind of Elves we have, while
> something like smithing and alchemy that involves a lot more physical
> work fits well to dwarves and humans.
>
> See, I think we have keep both sides in mind: create a set of rules that
> is balenced and fun to play and create a gameworld that has it's own
> appeal and is consistent with the game rules. Defining our races by
> their different talents that also determine their way of live should do
> the trick.

Yeah, maybe I'm just too narrow-minded. Or too pre-formed by other RPGs. I
guess it's all for the best to go that way. Besides, let's wait and see what
the others (our newly gained rules person?) have to say!  :)

BEN