gnewsense-art

Re: [gNewSense-art] Re-Licensing Artwork.

From: r. siddharth
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-art] Re-Licensing Artwork.
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 00:07:53 +0530

al3xu5 / dotcommon wrote:

- Options (a) 'relicensing the artwork to GFDL' and (b) 'ask all contributors
   to provide extra permission for wiki pages and artwork to be combined', both
   require asking contributors to explicity release extra permission...

   So, why ask for (a), which moreover lead to a inappropriate license for
   artwork used with the operating system? Better ask for (b)!

Thanks for your valuable comments alexus. Perhaps I was too hasty to suggest that the documentation + the artwork be licensed under the GFDL. I think we should put this licensing issue up for discussion before we move forward. Kgoetz ? Samgee ? Sirgazil ? what do you think.

For all these reasons I suggest:

- to *keep* the CC BY-SA license for all the artwork related with the operating
   system (logos, wallpapers, themes, icons, buttons etc.)

- to license GNS's web pages under GFDL for texts and CC BY-SA for artwork
   (images, videos etc.) inserted into the pages themselves (requesting extra
   permissions just for these artworks, and updating the footer to
   automatically obtain the permission to combine GFDL and CC BY-SA for any new
   contribution in the future)

alexus, in this case, if we were to go for the option (b) that you have suggested, can you help us write the relevant "clause" for the "extra permissions" that is required to make things compatible.

Thank you!

--
rsiddharth
http://rsiddharth.ninth.su/