gnewsense-art

Re: [gNewSense-art] Re-Licensing Artwork.

From: al3xu5 / dotcommon
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-art] Re-Licensing Artwork.
Date: Sun, 27 May 2012 22:37:55 +0200

Il giorno lunedì 28/05/2012 00:07:53 CEST
"r. siddharth" <address@hidden> ha scritto:

> > - Options (a) 'relicensing the artwork to GFDL' and (b) 'ask all
> > contributors to provide extra permission for wiki pages and artwork to be
> > combined', both require asking contributors to explicity release extra
> > permission...
> >
> >    So, why ask for (a), which moreover lead to a inappropriate license for
> >    artwork used with the operating system? Better ask for (b)!

Here I meant:
- better to ask contributors extra permissions *only* for the artworks (images
  etc.) inserted in the GNS's web pages
- where 'extra permissions' might be: relicensing to FDL or dual-licensing
  adding FDL to the previous CC BY-SA

> > For all these reasons I suggest:
> >
> > - to *keep* the CC BY-SA license for all the artwork related with the
> > operating system (logos, wallpapers, themes, icons, buttons etc.)
> >
> > - to license GNS's web pages under GFDL for texts and CC BY-SA for artwork
> >    (images, videos etc.) inserted into the pages themselves (requesting
> > extra permissions just for these artworks, and updating the footer to
> >    automatically obtain the permission to combine GFDL and CC BY-SA for any
> > new contribution in the future)

there was also this option I suggested:

> - alternatively, to license GNS's web pages under GFDL both for texts and
>   artwork (images, videos etc.) inserted into the pages themselves (requesting
>   extra permissions just for these artworks).

> alexus, in this case, if we were to go for the option (b) that you have
> suggested, can you help us write the relevant "clause" for the "extra
> permissions" that is required to make things compatible.

Having said that I am not a professional expert on licensing, although I have
a reasonable knowledge base, my argument is:
- FDL has been designed for documentation [1] (preamble)
- FDL and CC BY-SA are incompatible [2]
- since now all GNS artwork has been licensed as CC BY-SA
- artwork to be used within the GNS operating system (logos, wallpapers,
  themes, icons, buttons etc.) could (should I think) *remain* licensed as CC
  BY-SA
- artwork (images, videos etc.) inserted into the GNS's wiki pages should have
  a license compatible with FDL: this can be achieved (as far as I know) asking
  contributors to re-license to FDL or to dual-licensing adding FDL to the CC
  BY-SA

Defining more closely what is my suggestion, I think the best thing to do is:
- ask those (which shold be the copyright holders) who have included artwork
  (images, videos etc.) in the pages of the GNS's wiki to re-license it to FDL
  or dual-licensing adding FDL to the CC BY-SA
- then "move" the entire contents of the GNS's wiki/documentation to FDL
- and, at the same time, change the license statement in the footer (*)

(*) the footer could say something like:
"Unless otherwise specified, all contents in this site (textual, graphics,
audio and video) are covered by the terms of the GNU Free Documentation
License, Version 1.3 or any later version published by the Free Software
Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover
Texts. By contributing to this website you agree to release any material under
the same license terms."

Hoping to have better explained my idea, which is just my opinion: decisions
are to GNS's people.

Regards

[1] https://www.gnu.org/licenses/fdl.html
[2] https://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#ccbysa