gnewsense-art

Re: [gNewSense-art] Re-Licensing Artwork.

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-art] Re-Licensing Artwork.
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 15:38:08 +0200

al3xu5 / dotcommon wrote:
Having said that I am not a professional expert on licensing, although I have
a reasonable knowledge base, my argument is: - FDL has been designed for documentation [1] (preamble)
- FDL and CC BY-SA are incompatible [2]

Brett says that both licenses want to cover everything, because of their copyleft nature. However, I found today that Wikipedia considers images to be aggregated with the text [1]. That view makes it possible for both to have incompatible licenses, as far as I know. If that's also true for our case, then there's no problem after all.

On the other hand, Wikipedia is a bad example because its text is dual licensed under GFDL and CC-BY-SA instead of GFDL only, images under either license are less problematic. And whether or not an image is aggregated probably depends on how tightly it's integrated with the text. If the text says "as you can see in the top left corner" then it's harder to separate the image than when it merely serves as an example or illustration.

- since now all GNS artwork has been licensed as CC BY-SA

For completeness I'll add that some artwork has a different license. E.g. the gNewSense logo at the top of the website falls under GPLv2.

- artwork to be used within the GNS operating system (logos, wallpapers,
  themes, icons, buttons etc.) could (should I think) *remain* licensed as CC
  BY-SA

I agree that it's more suitable for artwork.

- artwork (images, videos etc.) inserted into the GNS's wiki pages should have
  a license compatible with FDL: this can be achieved (as far as I know) asking
  contributors to re-license to FDL or to dual-licensing adding FDL to the CC
  BY-SA

Dual licensing is better, because that's the most flexible. Artists who agreed with rsiddharth's query are ok with both CC-BY-SA and GFDL for their artwork, so I think it's safe to assume they're ok with dual licensing.

Defining more closely what is my suggestion, I think the best thing to do is:
- ask those (which shold be the copyright holders) who have included artwork
  (images, videos etc.) in the pages of the GNS's wiki to re-license it to FDL
or dual-licensing adding FDL to the CC BY-SA - then "move" the entire contents of the GNS's wiki/documentation to FDL
- and, at the same time, change the license statement in the footer (*)

(*) the footer could say something like:
"Unless otherwise specified, all contents in this site (textual, graphics,
audio and video) are covered by the terms of the GNU Free Documentation
License, Version 1.3 or any later version published by the Free Software
Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover
Texts. By contributing to this website you agree to release any material under
the same license terms."

That's the plan. Unless we can claim aggregation. In that case we should find a way to easily add and view license information of images on the wiki.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Verbatim_copying_under_the_GFDL#Images