gnewsense-art

Re: [gNewSense-art] Re-Licensing Artwork.

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-art] Re-Licensing Artwork.
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 22:12:29 +0200

r. siddharth wrote:
Do I have to list the images used in the Documentation in the Artwork List at the RelicensingArtwork[1] wiki. Hitherto, under the assumption that the images used in the Documentation are not "Artistic", I have ignored to list them in the wiki. I'll have track (and thus list) these images in the Documentation, if it is required.

If I remember correctly, I contacted Brett at the time because I was unsure about how we put the "real" artwork on the wiki, but also because I noticed some non-artwork wiki pages with images that are (or could be mistaken for) artwork. Any references I had about that got lost when my disk crashed.

Here is how I conceive the difference :

--> If the media is used inside a Documentation, then it is necessary functional (in most of the cases).

--> The media is artistic, if it qualifies to be used to "frill" the operating system.

Artwork is often released once, under one license, and then goes on to be enthousiastically reused by others in different contexts. Whether that use is functional or artistic doesn't change the original license (unless it's by the copyright holder and we can assume implicit additional licensing). E.g. person A makes a (CC-BY-SA) background for gNS and person B writes a (GFDL) tutorial with pictures about how to recreate that background.