gnewsense-art

Re: [gNewSense-art] Re-Licensing Artwork.

From: r. siddharth
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-art] Re-Licensing Artwork.
Date: Thu, 31 May 2012 00:00:02 +0530

 >> This (Brett's comment) necessarily means that the images that are used
 >> /as part/ of the Documentation _must_ be licensed under a license
 >> compatible with the license of the Documentation.

Sam Geeraerts wrote:

True. I browsed through the artwork you listed on the wiki and I don't
really see any of them as part of the documentation. I call
ArtworkPlan/Propose a wiki page that aggregates some artwork.

Do I have to list the images used in the Documentation in the Artwork List at the RelicensingArtwork[1] wiki. Hitherto, under the assumption that the images used in the Documentation are not "Artistic", I have ignored to list them in the wiki. I'll have track (and thus list) these images in the Documentation, if it is required.

The term "artwork" is too vague and we should not use it in the updated
copyright notice. The consideration for this discussion is whether or
not an image (or video, sound, ...) is part of the surrounding text.
Otherwise put: the difference between functional and artistic use.

Here is how I conceive the difference :

--> If the media is used inside a Documentation, then it is necessary functional (in most of the cases).

--> The media is artistic, if it qualifies to be used to "frill" the operating system.

 >> Why can't the new artwork be dual licensed (GFDL & CC BY-SA) ?

If it's merely listed (aggregated) on the wiki, then any free license
should not be a problem. If it's integrated, then it should have at
least one GFDL compatible license, but there's no objection to GFDL +
CC-BY-SA dual licensing.

Noted.

I thank you.

[1] http://www.gnewsense.org/RelicensingArtwork