gnewsense-art

Re: [gNewSense-art] Re-Licensing Artwork.

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-art] Re-Licensing Artwork.
Date: Tue, 29 May 2012 21:48:47 +0200

r. siddharth wrote:
This (Brett's comment) necessarily means that the images that are used /as part/ of the Documentation _must_ be licensed under a license compatible with the license of the Documentation.

True. I browsed through the artwork you listed on the wiki and I don't really see any of them as part of the documentation. I call ArtworkPlan/Propose a wiki page that aggregates some artwork.

By contrast, the icons, examples and screenshots in Documentation/GIMP are clearly part of the article. Perhaps we can get away with fair use for some of it (e.g. I'm not aware of publishers of non-free technical books seeking copyright clearance for icons and screenshots (including window decorations, logos etc.)).

As a consequence, the images used in the Documentation should also be licensed under GFDL (in our case), I want to know if this already true ?

Under a GFDL compatible license, in fact. GFDL itself is the most straightforward, because then there's no question about compatibility.

This leads me to my next question :

Are images that are used /as part/ of Documentation count as "Artwork"? Or by "Artwork", we mean only the wallpapers, logos and the like ?

I am asking this because, if images which are part of Documentation are considered as "Artwork", then we cannot apply OPT.1) as the text and the images in the Documentation should necessarily be licensed under a compatible license.

The term "artwork" is too vague and we should not use it in the updated copyright notice. The consideration for this discussion is whether or not an image (or video, sound, ...) is part of the surrounding text. Otherwise put: the difference between functional and artistic use.

Why can't the new artwork be dual licensed (GFDL & CC BY-SA) ?

If it's merely listed (aggregated) on the wiki, then any free license should not be a problem. If it's integrated, then it should have at least one GFDL compatible license, but there's no objection to GFDL + CC-BY-SA dual licensing.