lout-users

Re: Lout website

From: Greg A. Woods
Subject: Re: Lout website
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 11:28:48 -0400 (EDT)

[ On Wednesday, July 30, 2003 at 11:00:48 (+0200), Sébastien Pierre wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: Lout website
>
> This would be a good idea, both for the mailman list and a lout.info
> (or lout.org) website. When could you get it ready ?

"lout.org" is taken already, but "lout.info" appears to still be
available.

I'm not sure exactly how long it takes to get a new .info domain
registered but usually such things are very fast, and usually take a day
at most to appear in the public DNS.  I've not yet registered any .info
domains for anyone.  The worst case is we may have to get our reseller
account upgraded to allow us to register .info domains and that could
take a couple of days.

I don't remember the exact wholesale cost of a .info domain (it's
probably around $10[usa]) but it's not so much that I'd feel
out-of-pocket for supporting it myself.

On the other hand I already have the ability to create a "lout."  (or
whatever) sub-domain in any of at least the following existing domains:

        lout.weird.com
        lout.weird.ca
        lout.robohack.ca
        lout.planix.com
        lout.planix.ca

Either way once the domain name is chosen configuring the DNS takes only
a couple of minutes more, assuming I know where to point the default
things like MX and A records, which in this case I think I do know already. :-)

I have to co-ordinate with my colleague on the Mailman setup as it runs
on his machine, but ultimately that only takes a few minutes to setup as
well (we already have it running for existing lists).

I think I can easily configure my web server to do a re-direct to the
sourceforge web site, though I've not actually done that in a few years!  ;-)

If you're tired of using SourceForge I could even host the whole web
site, but only if you or someone else agrees to maintain it (I'm not a
web developer!).  I don't run any fancy hosting or publishing tools --
just a plain old Apache, and I'll only run CGI programs that I've very
carefully audited myself (and I don't allow PHP and I don't have a Java
server or anything fancy like that).  Upload access would be by way of
SSH only.

I could just set it all up and then announce how to subscribe to the new
list, but ideally I'd prime it with a copy of the current list if
someone sends it to me and that way existing subscribers would only have
to learn the new posting submission address.

--
                                                Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098                  VE3TCP            RoboHack <address@hidden>
Planix, Inc. <address@hidden>          Secrets of the Weird <address@hidden>