lout-users

Re: Lout website

From: Mark Summerfield
Subject: Re: Lout website
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 12:28:02 +0100

On Wednesday 30 July 2003 10:31, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 01:43:31AM +0800, K. H. Man wrote:
> > I wonder if anyone's managed to convert the 3.28 docs to PDF
> > with textures using something other than Ghostscript? It would
> > allow Sébastien to update the documents to 3.28.

Lout 3.28 seems to produce PostScript with textures that ghostview can't
display, but doesn't choke on: it just shows whitespace instead. The
textures print beautifully but ghostscript can't convert PostScript that
has these textures into PDF -- even version 8.00 just dies with a stack
trace. This is a great pity, but not lout's fault of course.

> Yes.  GNU Ghostscript 7.05 does not have any problem with textures.
> However, there are still several issues with the ps2pdf generated PDF
> files:
>
> *  the upper margin seems to be smaller in the PDF file than in the
>    original PS file (this may be a GS problem but this doesn't happen
>    e.g. with LaTeX generated PS files);
>
> *  ligatures seem to be broken (e.g. something like `fi' produces
>    overlapping letters followed by a white space);

This is due to a bug in ghostscript. It is definitely fixed in version
8.00.

--
Mark.