Re: LYNX-DEV new entities

From: Audin Malmin
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV new entities
Date: Wed, 13 Nov 1996 14:45:01 -0800 (PST)

> Hiram Lester, Jr. wrote:
> > On Tue, 12 Nov 1996, Audin Malmin wrote:
> >
> > > Make the standard "unsupported char" symbol a link to an ASCII drawing of
> > > the character......  :)
> >
> > Cool idea.  I tried to convince Fote back about the first of this year
> > that lynx needed a GIF/JPG to ASCII renderer. ;)
>
> Similar things exist and work quite good if the terminal is good enough.
> On VT420 and better you can have 132x48 screen. You can also redefine
> characters (in one of the alternate sets) and make them contain "pixels".
> Last time I used something like this, resolution was around 300x200 in 3
> colors.

If one has a terminal that can do SIXEL graphics (Kermit can handle it...and a
couple of real VTsomethings...) then you can use GifSixel to view gifs and
jpegs...  I have this set up as a #mimetype (or whatever it is in lynx.cfg)...
so selecting a link to one of these graphic types brings up gifsixel...

(Gifsixel is primarialy a VMS program...it doesn't come with a makefile,
so one has to compile it by hand (it's not TOO hard, as it's smallish.)...  I
also had to hack it a bit to handle modern Gif89a files...  It's not truly
clean or elegant, but it does work...)