Re: NSL_FORK [Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 3.0]

From: Tom Zerucha
Subject: Re: NSL_FORK [Re: LYNX-DEV Lynx 3.0]
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 21:19:24 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Hiram Lester, Jr. wrote:

I think I am missing a close (that the child exit does not handle) on one
of the two fds I create with the pipe.

It is only in WWW/.../HTTCP.c, do a search on NSL_FORK.

Where you see a close(pfd[0]), you also need a close(pfd[1]), or can
probably close this side just after forking (in the parent).

I think I fixed it, but the patch integrated into 2.6/7 didn't contain it,
and I forgot about it.

> On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Janos Farkas wrote:
>
> > Bela Lubkin writes:
> > > integrated, or close to ready + under active development.  Currently, it
> > > seems like 2.8 could integrate:
> >
> > >   Porting changes:
> > ..
> > >     (NSL_FORK to be enabled where possible, by autoconf)
> >
> > Apropos NSL_FORK.  It has an fd leak, since the parent process does
> > not close the pipe to the client...  It only matters if someone lowers
> > the per-process fd limit, otherwise few users will browse more than
> > 200 docs.. :)  Sorry for no patches, I always leave them home...
>
> Interesting.  I've actually noticed this behavior on HP-UX, and never
> connected it to NSL_FORK.  After being in Lynx for sometime, I get an
> error trying to connect to a host, and I can't connect to ANYWHERE.
> Quitting and restarting will fix it.  I haven't tried on 2.7 yet (just got
> the official release plus bugfixes compiled last night, even updated help
> and man pages).
>
> Can you give more details about the nature of the error?

address@hidden
finger address@hidden for PGP key

;
;