Re: LYNX-DEV: "user Agent: mozilla 3.0 compatible" no-workee

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV: "user Agent: mozilla 3.0 compatible" no-workee
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 1998 08:40:01 +0000 (GMT)

> > 3) there are already fallback mechanisms in the frames specification, even
> >    if Navigator 4 doesn't recognize Netscape's own <NOFRAMES> tag!!
> [...]
> >    access to navigation, etc., on all pages.  Navigator doesn't suppress
> >    the contents of <noframes>.)
>
> Are you saying "reverse-descrimination" pages, e.g. http://163.51.110.11/
> lynxdev/index.html, won't work anymore?  I only have Netscape 2.01, but
> don't really want to "upgrade" to Navigator 4 to find out.  However, I'm
> curious as to how they present (or offer) both <FRAMESET> and <noframes>
> content at the same time.

The position is that you shouldn't need <noframes> on the frames page
itself, and Navigator WILL ignore the <body> on such pages.  However,
IE3 and 4 will also ignore <noframes> content on normal pages.  The actual
case was an initial "main" frame that only contained a background texture.
Going somewhat outside the brief, I put a link to the the contents frame in
the body of the frameset page, but also included a message explaining why
the main frame was blank on that page.  MSIE displayed the main frame as
texture only, but Navigator (4 for Windows and SCO Unix) displayed the
message; as a result I had to delete the message, meaning that Lynx users
mistakenly going to that page will get an empty screen.

(This is development code and not available externally.)

Incidentally, I can understand why people detect the browser in their
servers; I've been trying to use stylesheets to cleanly get certain
effects, but both Navigator's and MSIE's handling of them is broken,
but in different ways.

> Netscape, or what?  BTW, are "frames" even HTML?

They are part of HTML 4.0, at least, which also adds a frames mechanism which
doesn't require multiple files, although, unless it gives extra visual
effects, I would imagine that backward compatibility considerations will keep
the external frames mechanism with us for a long time (the lack of backwards
compatibility with frames pages is because they give new capabilities to
the layout designers).