Re: LYNX-DEV LYNX reads "off" from .lynxrc set_cursor=on

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV LYNX reads "off" from .lynxrc set_cursor=on
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 10:25:32 +0900 (JST)

> > I have show_cursor=on in my .lynxrc file, as you
[...]
> > I also explicitly set -show_cursor on the command-line:
[...]
> > /u13/wcheung/bin/lynxtest -show_cursor -vikeys -cache=60 lynx_bookmarks.html
[...]
> > But, when I do "o", it shows it OFF:

USING THE COMMAND LINE SWITCH, IT SHOULD BE OFF.  Quoting from .lynxrc:

# or color.  A value of "on" will set positioning to the left as the
# default while a value of "off" will set 'hiding' of the cursor.
# The default can be overridden via the -show_cursor command line toggle.

These darn instructions are confusing, but what they're saying is that
the default is "on", and that "-show_cursor" zaps the default, i.e.,
makes it "off."

With ac-0.113/slang run without a command line switch, .lynxrc has
"show_cursor=off" and the o)ption menu says "show cursor (@) : OFF".

I then press `@' => [SPACE] => [RET] => `>'.  When I return to the
o)ption menu, it now says "show cursor (@) : ON".  I quit Lynx, and
restart it, again without a command line switch, and go to the o)ption
menu, which still says "show cursor (@) : ON" as expected.  .lynxrc
also has "show_cursor=on".

Moral of the story, if you want to see the cursor, don't use the
-show_cursor command line switch, because it really means "-hide_cursor".

__Henry
> > {netcom4:288}
> > {netcom4:288}
> >
> > But, when I do "o", it shows it OFF:
> > I have show_cursor=on in my .lynxrc file, as you

Using ac-0.113/slang, no command line options, I get the following.

Start up lynx, and escaping to shell the .lynxrc file reads: