Re: LYNX-DEV LYMessages_en.h translation

From: Nelson Henry Eric
Subject: Re: LYNX-DEV LYMessages_en.h translation
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 1998 09:02:47 +0900 (JST)

> gettext uses an index (i.e., numbers) for each message, and relates it
> to an external file.  That would be relatively simple to migrate to with

Just so the record is straight, I have no beef with "gettext" adding to
the size of the distribution  -- because it is a valid solution.

Remember that the whole LYMessage_??.h mechanism was set up by Fote as
a *temporary* way to at least get some of the status line strings available
to change.  Before that there was NOTHING, short of hardcoding.

> I guess stuff tends to stay in the distribution because it isn't noticed
> (if it's not much used, then that accounts for it ;-)

Did my "lpansi" patch make it in, and the whole /utils subdirectory get
removed?  (Sorry, I leave in less than an hour, and probably will be out
of touch for three weeks or so.)

> I don't see any reason to put them in the main distribution (just make them
> available as an add-on package).

I'm glad to hear this, because once "gettext" is implemented the present ??.h
files won't be needed.

__Henry