Re: lynx-dev Lynx accessibility issue

From: David Woolley
Subject: Re: lynx-dev Lynx accessibility issue
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 08:44:31 +0100 (BST)

> I'm in the process of redesigning my pages (for example:
> http://www.tcfn.org/cbpin) and am having a problem with the <b> and

<B> is, of course, discouraged, although not deprecated.

> <strong> tags.  I use the local libraries server to test my pages (not
> sure what Lynx version they are running).  When I use either bold tags,

<strong> is NOT a bold tag, it is just most commonly represented that way
on terminals that can do reasonable bolding.

> it makes the text underlined and also causes other "misinterpretations"

I think you will find that the basic PC character mode display hardware
can display high intensity or underline but not both on the same screen -
there is definitely some tradeoff for the display of underline.

Actual rendering attributes depend on the terminal or emulator, the
terminal type declared on the host, the terminal description corresponding
to that type, the screen handling library used and the version of Lynx
used.

> such as centering.

I have never seen this and would consider it a bug, if it happens
for inline elements like BOLD and STRONG.  Browsers, in the absence of
style sheet support, are free to chose how they will render Hn elements,
of course, but those are block elements.

> Is there an alternative to the bold tags?

You should never use BOLD, you should use a tag that represents the reason
for wanting a different rendering, not one that represents a particular
rendering.  You should not refer to the expected rendering in the text.