Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [ANNOUNCE] monotone 0.21 released

From: Nathaniel Smith
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: [ANNOUNCE] monotone 0.21 released
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 00:25:29 -0700

On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 09:35:23PM -0600, Derek Scherger wrote:
> random thought, prompted by the fact that I don't know whether the
> --exclude value is persisted as a db var... would
>
> MT/netsync/server
> MT/netsync/include
> MT/netsync/exclude
>
> be a better place than the database for the defaults (i.e. current db vars)?
>
> I've run into at least one case where I have two separate projects in
> one db (for no particular good reason) and the defaults only make sense
> for one of them.

The reasoning is that one often has multiple working copies for the
same db, and there's really nothing one can do about that.  That makes
this arrangement a pain, where very time you check out the source you
have to re-teach monotone about your network setup.

On the other hand, you can generally arrange things by dbs quite
naturally (as you say, you don't even have any particularly good
reason for your situation...), and putting them at the db level avoids
the above problem.

If people have actual use cases for putting multiple projects into the
same db, we can try and figure out what would help those use cases...

In mathematics, it's not enough to read the words
you have to hear the music