[Monotone-devel] netsync and --exclude (was: [ANNOUNCE] monotone 0.21 re

From: Peter Simons
Subject: [Monotone-devel] netsync and --exclude (was: [ANNOUNCE] monotone 0.21 released)
Date: 21 Jul 2005 12:31:19 +0200

Nathaniel Smith writes:

 >> protocol error while processing peer localhost:
 >>   'received network error: access to branch 'foo.bar' denied by server

 > Hmm, well, the situation is a bit tricky, because the
 > server and client have to agree on what they're syncing,
 > or else things become inefficient.

I'm not quite sure whether I understand why this problem is
tricky to solve. Monotone versions prior to 0.21 behaved exactly
the way I need it: Issue a warning, go on synchronizing those
branches that haven't been excluded. The new release is the first
one to abort the connection entirely in case a branch has been
excluded.

 > The merkle tree set synchronization algorithm has costs that
 > grow with the size of the difference between the two sets; so
 > setting up two sets with lots of irrelevant differences makes
 > your performance really bad for no reason.

I'm willing to live with that. The number of branches I exclude
is small, I doubt the performance penality would be noticeable.

 > Why do you have lots of servers?

Now I am confused. Why would I use Monotone if I _hadn't_ lots of
different servers? If I had only one, I'd be using Subversion,
right? ;-)

Peter