automake-ng

Re: [Automake-ng] Activating support for silent-rules unconditionally?

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: [Automake-ng] Activating support for silent-rules unconditionally?
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 20:31:19 +0200

Hi Bob.

On 04/16/2012 08:18 PM, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

> I think that this is fine as long as the default is for silent-rules to be
> disabled (i.e. verbose)

Absolutely, that's not a default I want to change.  Also, if a developer wants
to instead have silent rules enabled by default for *his* package, the only
thing he has to do is to add a "AM_SILENT_RULES([yes])" in his configure.ac --
perfectly reasonable IMO.

> and if Automake-ng silently ignores the 'silent-rules' option if it is
> specified so it is possible to switch between portable Automake and
> Automake-ng.

Ah, but note that there is no guarantee that an input written for Automake
will continue to work correctly for Automake-NG...  although we want to
minimize the incompatibilites and avoid gratuitous breakage, so I agree
with you that is a good idea to keep 'silent-rules' as a no-op but valid
option for the time being.

Thanks,
  Stefano