automake-ng

Re: [Automake-ng] Activating support for silent-rules unconditionally?

From: Stefano Lattarini
Subject: Re: [Automake-ng] Activating support for silent-rules unconditionally?
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 21:05:52 +0200

On 04/16/2012 08:52 PM, Dave Hart wrote:

> [SNIP] correction
>
> On the meatier, original topic of whether Automake-NG should provide
> the end user with silent rules capability in all cases, that's fine by
> me.  There may be some maintainers who would prefer to force make V=0
> to be equivalent to make V=1, but I'm not among them.

And anyway, I wouldn't want to cater to these maintainer's attempt to take
control away from the user.  OTOH, if all a maintainer wants is to have
verbose output enabled by default, without preventing the user from using
silent output if he thus prefers, all will be fine (in fact, verbose rules
are and will remain the Automake provided default).

Regards,
  Stefano