automake-ng

Re: [Automake-ng] Activating support for silent-rules unconditionally?

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: [Automake-ng] Activating support for silent-rules unconditionally?
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 14:16:24 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012, Stefano Lattarini wrote:

And anyway, I wouldn't want to cater to these maintainer's attempt to take
control away from the user.  OTOH, if all a maintainer wants is to have
verbose output enabled by default, without preventing the user from using
silent output if he thus prefers, all will be fine (in fact, verbose rules
are and will remain the Automake provided default).

The naive user won't know anything about silent output. Maintainers of packages which are configured to deliver silent output by default will then suffer with insufficient information provided in user bug reports, followed by an attempt at more discussion (often futile) to request building with verbosity enabled. Users who understand build error messages but not the silent output mechanism will be frustrated that they can't debug their build.

Maintainers, package preparers, and the technically savvy, will know about how to enable silent output, so they will request it when they want it and so life will be grand.

This is why I continue to believe that traditional make verbose output should be the default.

We can only hope that maintainers do not assert a silent-only build.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn