automake-ng

Re: [Automake-ng] Activating support for silent-rules unconditionally?

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: [Automake-ng] Activating support for silent-rules unconditionally?
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 13:41:30 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012, Stefano Lattarini wrote:

Ah, but note that there is no guarantee that an input written for Automake
will continue to work correctly for Automake-NG...  although we want to
minimize the incompatibilites and avoid gratuitous breakage, so I agree
with you that is a good idea to keep 'silent-rules' as a no-op but valid
option for the time being.

The acceptance of Automake-ng will be much higher if it accepts all valid Automake.am files (as per existing documentation). With a properly-written Automake.am it should be possible to switch back and forth by simply using a different automake tool. Hopefully that is the plan.

Explicit Makefile bits which are added via hooks or additional dependencies may need to adapt.

There is of course no guarantee or warranty. :-)

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn