[linuxiran] Re: Open source Farsi word processor?

From: Hooman Baradaran
Subject: [linuxiran] Re: Open source Farsi word processor?
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 11:36:39 -0400

On Monday June 16 2003 7:40 pm, Arash Zeini wrote:
> On Monday 16 June 2003 19:45, Hooman wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
> > With all the great open source software out there, without a doubt for
> > all Iranian around the world the most important software is a good Farsi
> > word processor.
> > I don't know about the people in Iran but here in Canada beginners use
> > Vazhe Negar (the old version - even they know Vazhe Negar 98 sucks). Why?
> > Because they've got used to the iterface. Now in case you don't know this
> > program sucks in every possible way and doesn't support unicode.
> > I could used katibeh because the site doesn't work. So I don't know how
> > that performs.
> > But if there are no good word processors available for free then why
> > aren't we starting an open source project for a unicode farsi word
> > processor that run all both Linux and Windows (or even better Mac too)?
> > I think a open source word processor for Iranians will be as important as
> > the KDE or even the Linux kernel itself!
> > Hooman (www.hoomanb.com)
>
> Hi Hooman,
>
> Have you tried KWord of KOffice? It is quite good and works well for Farsi.
>
> Another choice is going to be the new OO.org if you want to have it on both
> platfomrs. At this moment however, it seems that the new OO.org will work
> for Farsi on Red Hat only, as it ships with a patched XFree86.
>
> Try them both and see which one suits you better.
>
> Good luck and greetings,
> Arash

Thanks Arash,
I sure have tried KWord. As for Farsi I think it's better than those Farsi
word processors out there. But KWork has many bugs specially for HTML
editing.
As for OO.org I was waiting for Farsi support and if the support is as good as
KWord it should do it for me!
Also as for the project I suggest, I meant a multi-platform tool but on second
thought personal I prefer to have Farsi in the office products I use rather
than a seperate program.

Hooman

Hooman Baradaran
address@hidden