Re: [linuxiran] KDE on Mac OS X[was:Re: Open source Farsi word processor

From: Aryan Ameri
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] KDE on Mac OS X[was:Re: Open source Farsi word processor?]
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 21:40:09 +0300

On Wednesday 18 June 2003 14:02, Arash Zeini wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 June 2003 05:18, Aryan Ameri wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > I advice everyone to check these screenshot. (ATTN Arash Zeini
> > which believes integration in the Open Source world is impossible
> > !! )
>
> [...]
>
> I think you are quoting me out of context ;) Are you referring to the
> discussion about Mozilla vs. Konqueror and the underlying
> architectures?

Yes. Or about Open Office. Or the fact that Gtk applications look
different from Qt applications and they both are different from
applications written using X toolkit, or Motif/Lesstif.

Many people argue that because different toolkits are used to develop
GNU/Linux applications consistency between them is impossible (I quoted
you here, because I thought I remembered you saying something similar).

To some degree they are right, I mean GUI of many applications really
suck! (Have you noticed that Gnome applications do not have a "Apply"
button?) They all look different from each other and there is no
consistency between them (run KsCD or KMid to see what I mean).

But (and here is a great *BUT*), I beleive and these screenshots
demonstrate that "tight integration and consistency between interfaces,
and keeping them portable and multi-platform" is possible. When
developers care about these issues and spend time on them.

 KOffice on Mac (the ones I mentioned) shows it. Ximian has worked
greatly on OpenOffice.org and has integrate it perfectly with Ximian
Desktop (a modified Gnome 2.2) enviroment. A port of Mozilla to OS X
using the Aqua is now available (named Camino).

I just wanted to say that even though there are multiple toolkits
available for free software developers, this isn't a  limitation of
Open Source (I thought you were a proponent of the idea that it is a
limitation). If carefully designed, applications written with different
toolkits and available on differents operating systems can be
integrated fully with the interface of that specific environment.

Cheers

--
/* You can always count on Americans to do the
right thing; - after they've tried everything else.