[linuxiran] Re: Open source Farsi word processor?

From: Hooman Baradaran
Subject: [linuxiran] Re: Open source Farsi word processor?
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 12:53:40 -0400

On Tuesday June 17 2003 12:14 pm, Aryan Ameri wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 June 2003 18:36, Hooman Baradaran wrote:
> > > Hi Hooman,
> > >
> > > Have you tried KWord of KOffice? It is quite good and works well
> > > for Farsi.
> > >
> > > Another choice is going to be the new OO.org if you want to have it
> > > on both platfomrs. At this moment however, it seems that the new
> > > OO.org will work for Farsi on Red Hat only, as it ships with a
> > > patched XFree86.
> > >
> > > Try them both and see which one suits you better.
> > >
> > > Good luck and greetings,
> > > Arash
> >
> > Thanks Arash,
> > I sure have tried KWord. As for Farsi I think it's better than those
> > Farsi word processors out there. But KWork has many bugs specially
> > for HTML editing.
>
> Well, KOffice is not without bugs, but it certainly beats a shit out of
> many word processors out there.
Yes, as I said before, as for the Farsi typing KWord IMO is the best software
I've ever used. I specially like the fact that unlike Windows when I switch
keyboard in KDE is starts typing from right-to-left!

> If you are heavily into HTML editing, Quanta is a better bet though. It
> also has farsi support.
Didn't know it has Farsi support. This should be great! :)

> > As for OO.org I was waiting for Farsi support and if the support is
> > as good as KWord it should do it for me!
>
> It seems OOo 1.1 Beta supports BiDi languages now, but I Unix it seems X
> should be patched, in order for it to work. RedHat has patched X, so
> OOo 1.1 Beta on RedHat Linux works flawlessly. On othe distros,
> unfortunately we haven't been able to identify that patch and commit it
> back to the XFree86 Project.
>
> > Also as for the project I suggest, I meant a multi-platform tool but
> > on second thought personal I prefer to have Farsi in the office
> > products I use rather than a seperate program.
>
> OOo runs on Solaris, GNU/Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows. It is certainly
> multi platform, by any account.
Yes, I complete forgot the fact that OO.org is multiplatform! In fact the
first time I tried it was on Windows.

> KOffice runs on GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, and Mac OS X, which is all
> that is important for many people ;-) KDE in general runs on any kind
> of *nix. So by many people's call, it is also protable and
> multi-platform.
>
> Cheers
>
> PS: It is always better to work on the internationalization and
> localization of already available software, rather than wrting
> something from scracth.
>
> PPS: TeX is not a word processors, but many people believe that it is
> better than any word processor can ever be! I was suprised to find out
> that author of the book which I am currently studying about Calculus in
> university, wrote in the first page of his book: "I typeset this book
> using TeX running on a Mandrake Linux system. I should take this
> opportunity to thank the developers of TeX and GNU/Linux in general,
> for providing such powerfull and reliable tools to me.

P.S. Apparently all math people use *nix. In my university too the math
department uses *nix and tex (except some Maple computer that run Windows for
those stupid students). I don't recall any math prof. that is not using *nix!
:-)

Hooman Baradaran
address@hidden
www.hoomanb.com