Re: [linuxiran] Re: Open source Farsi word processor?

From: Aryan Ameri
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] Re: Open source Farsi word processor?
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 19:14:33 +0300

On Tuesday 17 June 2003 18:36, Hooman Baradaran wrote:

> > Hi Hooman,
> >
> > Have you tried KWord of KOffice? It is quite good and works well
> > for Farsi.
> >
> > Another choice is going to be the new OO.org if you want to have it
> > on both platfomrs. At this moment however, it seems that the new
> > OO.org will work for Farsi on Red Hat only, as it ships with a
> > patched XFree86.
> >
> > Try them both and see which one suits you better.
> >
> > Good luck and greetings,
> > Arash
>
> Thanks Arash,
> I sure have tried KWord. As for Farsi I think it's better than those
> Farsi word processors out there. But KWork has many bugs specially
> for HTML editing.

Well, KOffice is not without bugs, but it certainly beats a shit out of
many word processors out there.

If you are heavily into HTML editing, Quanta is a better bet though. It
also has farsi support.

> As for OO.org I was waiting for Farsi support and if the support is
> as good as KWord it should do it for me!

It seems OOo 1.1 Beta supports BiDi languages now, but I Unix it seems X
should be patched, in order for it to work. RedHat has patched X, so
OOo 1.1 Beta on RedHat Linux works flawlessly. On othe distros,
unfortunately we haven't been able to identify that patch and commit it
back to the XFree86 Project.

> Also as for the project I suggest, I meant a multi-platform tool but
> on second thought personal I prefer to have Farsi in the office
> products I use rather than a seperate program.

OOo runs on Solaris, GNU/Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows. It is certainly
multi platform, by any account.

KOffice runs on GNU/Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, and Mac OS X, which is all
that is important for many people ;-) KDE in general runs on any kind
of *nix. So by many people's call, it is also protable and
multi-platform.

Cheers

PS: It is always better to work on the internationalization and
localization of already available software, rather than wrting
something from scracth.

PPS: TeX is not a word processors, but many people believe that it is
better than any word processor can ever be! I was suprised to find out
that author of the book which I am currently studying about Calculus in
university, wrote in the first page of his book: "I typeset this book
using TeX running on a Mandrake Linux system. I should take this
opportunity to thank the developers of TeX and GNU/Linux in general,
for providing such powerfull and reliable tools to me.

--
/* You can always count on Americans to do the
right thing; - after they've tried everything else.