[linuxiran] Farsi in OpenOffice1.1 in Mandrake 9.1

From: Hooman Baradaran
Subject: [linuxiran] Farsi in OpenOffice1.1 in Mandrake 9.1
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 10:28:24 -0400

> Another choice is going to be the new OO.org if you want to have it on both
> platfomrs. At this moment however, it seems that the new OO.org will work
> for Farsi on Red Hat only, as it ships with a patched XFree86.

I downloaded OpenOffice.org1.1 yesterday in my Mandrake 9.1 and the Farsi is
fine. I used KDE to switch keyboards and everything except yeh works fine
("yeh" of course can be fixed by holding shift) . I read in the archives that
the problem is the same as the problem in Mozilla but I don't think it is
true because in my system while OOo works just fine when I type in Mozilla
1.3 the 4 characters don't show up. (Mozilla Firebird is also just fine).

There were some problems with OO though,
1. Farsi wasn't officially in the languages (i.e. the document language can't
be selected to be Farsi). Are there any plans to add Farsi in the final
release?
2. I can not save so I have to save as with another name. When I try to save I
get a "Could not create a backup copy error". Also when I exist the program I
get this message:
        error saving the document
        file:///usr/local/OOo/user/basic/script.xlc:
        General error.
        Input output error.
Which may explain this third problem:
3. Everytime I run OOo 1.1 it asks if I want to register and all the settings
are back to default. Right now except for Farsi I use 1.0.2 that came with
Mandrake but since I need to add Bidi everytime this is a big problem
(almost!)
If it helps, as you can see I install OOo 1.1 in my /usr/local folder so I
could keep 1.0.2 until the final release comes.
Hooman Baradaran
address@hidden
www.hoomanb.com