Re: [linuxiran] Farsi in OpenOffice1.1 in Mandrake 9.1

From: Arash Zeini
Subject: Re: [linuxiran] Farsi in OpenOffice1.1 in Mandrake 9.1
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 21:22:02 +0430

On Thursday 19 June 2003 18:58, Hooman Baradaran wrote:

> > Another choice is going to be the new OO.org if you want to have it on
> > both platfomrs. At this moment however, it seems that the new OO.org will
> > work for Farsi on Red Hat only, as it ships with a patched XFree86.
>
> I downloaded OpenOffice.org1.1 yesterday in my Mandrake 9.1 and the Farsi
> is fine. I used KDE to switch keyboards and everything except yeh works
> fine ("yeh" of course can be fixed by holding shift) . I read in the
> archives that the problem is the same as the problem in Mozilla but I don't
> think it is true because in my system while OOo works just fine when I type
> in Mozilla 1.3 the 4 characters don't show up. (Mozilla Firebird is also
> just fine).

Might be. That was the impression we got from other users' feedback.

> There were some problems with OO though,
> 1. Farsi wasn't officially in the languages (i.e. the document language
> can't be selected to be Farsi). Are there any plans to add Farsi in the
> final release?

As I tried it, there was a point I could select Farsi as the language. But I
am not sure where it exactly was. Did you enable the features for RTSL and so
on?

> 2. I can not save so I have to save as with another name. When I try to
> save I get a "Could not create a backup copy error". Also when I exist the
> program I get this message:
>       error saving the document
>       file:///usr/local/OOo/user/basic/script.xlc:
>       General error.
>       Input output error.
> Which may explain this third problem:
> 3. Everytime I run OOo 1.1 it asks if I want to register and all the
> settings are back to default. Right now except for Farsi I use 1.0.2 that
> came with Mandrake but since I need to add Bidi everytime this is a big
> problem (almost!)
> If it helps, as you can see I install OOo 1.1 in my /usr/local folder so I
> could keep 1.0.2 until the final release comes.

I have no idea about these ones! Maybe Zoup or Ikomi can help.

Greetings,
Arash

--
The FarsiKDE Project