Re: [Chicken-hackers] anybody good with cmake?

From: felix winkelmann
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] anybody good with cmake?
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 00:19:02 +0200

On 8/17/07, Brandon Van Every <address@hidden> wrote:

> Please then refrain from comments like:
> On 8/14/07, felix winkelmann <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'm one hair before giving up on cmake.
>
> because I really don't see any other way to read that comment.
> Perhaps you didn't write what you meant.

Giving up on banging on it *myself*. That's what I meant.
I just want to build a C project. I expect CMake to handle that
without resorting to hacks or workarounds. God, this whole
discussion is so pointless...

> You talking about some other Linux rebuild bug, or the one that I
> fixed 3 months ago?  http://trac.callcc.org/ticket/158  If the latter,
> I think it's silly for you to be holding it against CMake's track
> record indefinitely.  Who would use Chicken if people's attitude was,
> 'Well, Chicken 2.5 had a bug in it...."

Well, one could certainly say that. On the other hand, chicken does
at least the basic stuff right.

But the real problem is that of maintenance. I feel I can't maintain
the CMake build myself. You seem not to be interested in that, unless
the autotools build is dropped (which, if I may say so, does what it
should, even in it's mindboggling uglyness). Since I'm not interested
in that kind of blackmailing, this means that the cmake build is effectively
abandoned, if no one else can be found (and I'm mighty happy that Peter, who
already maintains spiffy, is looking into it).