Re: [Chicken-hackers] anybody good with cmake?

From: Brandon Van Every
Subject: Re: [Chicken-hackers] anybody good with cmake?
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 11:25:05 -0400

On 8/15/07, felix winkelmann <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hm. Somehow it never works when I try this. Should ADD_CUSTOM_COMMAND
> output an .o file?

Yes.

> How do I add this to the chicken libraries?

Just add the .o file.  Recent Chicken versions can take them directly.
 That's how .o recompilation is avoided for the PCRE libraries.  The
ability to take .o files directly is not documented anywhere, the docs
are indeed woefully substandard on this kind of conceptual issue.
Nevertheless, it can be done and the Chicken build itself already has
examples of it happening.

> So, it would be more helpful if you would fix the CMake build instead
> of spending
> the time writing these mails. I'm a bit tired of getting told that apparently
> I'm too thick for these things...

Responding to this bit here has again required lots of redrafting.

The CMake build isn't broken; rather, you've been trying to add new
capabilities to it.  Happy to advise you on that, as I did above, but
your projects are your projects.

You'd get a lot more out of me if instead of threatening to abandon
CMake, you showed commitment to using and understanding CMake.  Last I
checked you were using it at work; what happened with that?

> > I'll refrain from addressing greater political issues for now.  I
> > think this kind of frustration is predictable when a community doesn't
> > put its full energies behind 1 build system.
>
> Even when it's buggy?

Just because you tried to use CMake CVS for bleeding edge ASM stuff,
doesn't make release versions of CMake buggy.  CVS has bugs in it,
that's what it's there for, same as Chicken.

> > I agree that CMake documentation is substandard.  It needs a major
> > infrastructural overhaul.  That's only going to happen if I personally
> > spearhead the effort, and I'm not prepared to do it right now.
>
> Of course.

And, that project has got priority over Chicken so long as you can't
commit to CMake.  I'm happy to answer questions, but I'm done with the
heavy lifting until you're ready to retire Automake.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every