Re: [Duplicity-talk] Version 0.6.0 Released - Checkpoint/Restart

From: Peter Schuller
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Version 0.6.0 Released - Checkpoint/Restart
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 2009 20:54:53 +0200

> Makes sense. Unless you say otherwise before I have time tonight I'll
> make the change, try to test in on sigfiles that exceed the size of
> each read and submit it, hopefully saving you some effort.

https://code.launchpad.net/~scode/duplicity/reasonable-io-blocksize

Merge request generated.

The changes were conservative in that they only changed the block
size. I tested the result both with and without --no-encryption, and
with signature files a few times larger than the 128k block size (on a
~ 100 meb backup). The resulting backup was successfully restore and
diff -uNr:ed.

Kenneth, is there a reason for having a *minimum* block size? Do small
requests cause any particular problem with one of the expected source
iterators?

In addition, do we really need to maintain such exact volume sizes
(even to the point of topping it off)?

My thinking is that if we can eliminate both "special" treatments, the
implementation would be dead simple and idiomatic for streaming I/O (a
regular "read until EOF or bytes > target" type of thing).

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <address@hidden>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to address@hidden