Re: R: [Duplicity-talk] archive-dir option meaning

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: R: [Duplicity-talk] archive-dir option meaning
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 06:31:53 -0500

Bonvicini, Alessandro wrote:
> HI , many thanks for your response.
>
> If I understand well I cannot delete the old sitar and manifest file
> cause  I have created my backup with archive-dir option set.
>

> There is a problem, my local manifest and sigtar directory grows
> everyday and slowly take many gbytes of space and slowly take up my
> harddisk. What policy can  I use to limit the sigtar grow? Please, I
> would like to make a full backup only one time a year, is it possible
> to discard sigtar in any way ? I use 05.15 version. If I redo my
> archive without archive-dir option the sigtar and manifest will be
> present again on client?

If you are using the 0.5.15 version, then yes, its OK to delete the
archive dir, but be aware that you can't then add it back to the command
line again in the future.  That's a limitation of the tool that has been
around forever, not a bug, just a limitation.

So, if you don't need the archive dir in the future, feel free to delete
it and remove the --archive-dir option.  Just remember that you can't
just start using it in the middle of a backup set.

As to going for a full year between full backups, you're playing with
fire.  You really need to do fairly frequent full backups and keep at
least two available at all times in separate locations.  Duplicity does
not have the capability, yet, to skip errors in the incrementals, so if
an early one dies, you've lost a lot of information.

I do weekly full on Sunday and incrementals on the other days.  At most
I would stretch it to monthly full and incrementals on weekdays, keeping
at least the last two backup sets, with local and remote copies of each.