Re: [Duplicity-talk] Version 0.6.0 Released - Checkpoint/Restart

From: Peter Schuller
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Version 0.6.0 Released - Checkpoint/Restart
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 14:01:16 +0200

> I know of no reason for minimum block size except that extremely small
> block sizes cause high IO overhead.  As long as the minimum is something
> reasonable there is little overhead.  Of course, if we were to properly
> tune this, we'd look at file system block sizes, alignment, and the
> whole nine yards.  Maybe in the future.

Well, I'm not propsing a small block size, just a regular I/O where
you use a large block size, with the one exception being when you
catch up to the target size at the end. I was thinking there might be
something about the source iterators that caused it to be insanely
expensive or somehow even broken to ask for e.g. 1 byte.

> As to topping it off... I think there was a bug in gpg that caused this
> problem.  Remember, duplicity has been around since 2002, so a number of
> workarounds may still be in the code that are not needed.

Ah, roger.

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <address@hidden>'