[Gnumed-devel] Re: I've sort of got a debian install going

From: Andreas Tille
Subject: [Gnumed-devel] Re: I've sort of got a debian install going
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 14:41:17 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> >> Any idea's about the files?
> > What files?
> >> I tried the knoppix again with a new HDD and except for a few i/0  errors
> >> on
> >> the files /usr/X11R6/bin/X86_SVGA
> >>            /usr/bin/ethereal
> >>            /usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts - (two files)
> >>    and a file called gnumeric.mo
> Those.
Thanks for helping me reading. ;-)

   ~> sudo apt-file update
   ~> apt-file search ethereal
   ethereal: usr/bin/ethereal

will help if the package is not installed on the box.  If it is
installed and you just want to know to which package a file belongs

   ~> dpkg -S /usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts
   gsfonts: /usr/share/fonts/type1/gsfonts

Which has not nececearily to be a complete <path>/<filename>

   ~> dpkg -S gnumeric.mo
   gnumeric: /usr/share/locale/hu/LC_MESSAGES/gnumeric.mo
   gnumeric: /usr/share/locale/et/LC_MESSAGES/gnumeric.mo
   gnumeric: /usr/share/locale/en_AU/LC_MESSAGES/gnumeric.mo

So I would suggest to reinstall the packages:

   ethereal, gsfonts and gnumeric

Sorry, I'm not really sure how this has to be performed on a Knoppix
installation, so you might be warned.  I normally do this via

   sudo apt-get remove <package to remove>
   # just in case you have the current version installed and apt-get
   # refuses to install via
   sudo apt-get install <package to install>

There might be an option to enforce installation even if the same
version is installed (RTFM here).

I guess /usr/X11R6/bin/X86_SVGA is a Knoppix specific file possibly
a symlink or anything else.

Hope this helps

        Andreas.