Re: [Gnumed-devel] Where to start with gnumed

From: Horst Herb
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] Where to start with gnumed
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 21:14:15 +0100

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003 06:24 am, richard terry wrote:
> In Oz, for example I use Pracsoft, in MsAccess 2.0 form. I know Horst was
> working on something to import from Pracsoft.

I have now a python module that can access MS Access (haven't used it yet, you
can have a first go if you wish).

It will be easy writing a few lines of code implementing a "xcIdentityServer"
who actually uses the Pracsoft Access database as backend. Even easier when
they use MS SQL.

That way, I can use my gnumed recall system, sharing address information with
Pracsoft.

As gnumed modules start becoming functional, they will gradually replace
Pracsoft until all Pracsoft functionality is finally completely replaced.

As soon as MDW is available in the MS SQL server version, same will happen
with MDW.

These "data leeches" will allow a smooth gradual transition from one system to
the next without having to re-enter data.

Extra benefit: by implementing an XML-RPC data leech for these proprietary
platforms you have already solved all import/export problems. As soon as you
have one functionality replaced, you use the corresponding get/set functions
to transfer the data.

So easy ... if I would just have a tad more time. Cross fingers, I am just
about to employ another doctor - if she bites the bait, I will stop working
full time as a doctor (3 days a week will do nicely) and have more time for
family and programming without any major financial drawbacks.

Horst