Re: [Gnumed-devel] installing and using gnumed

From: Roberto Mello
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] installing and using gnumed
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 11:45:25 -0700

On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 09:44:38AM +0100, Karsten Hilbert wrote:
> There's about a million lines flying by. The last couple ones
> tell you the error in question (if it's an SQL script error).

I understand, my difficulty was in seeing these lines. I just noticed that
the very first line of the bootstrap script tell me where the log is.
I did notice it before, and I apologize.

I would suggest outputting the log file name again if there was an error,
to help the user. Something like this:

Cannot bootstrap services.
Please check the log at /foo/bar/foo.log

I'd be happy to provide a patch for this if the project managers feel this
is a useful addition.

> If you can come up with a way of driving psql through a pipe I
> will be happy to incorporate finer grained logging. If you
> want to catch your console output use the script command.

Hopefully this will be better with PG 7.4 and its numerically-coded error
messages.

> This is in the docs. You can set it up any way you like
> (except for SSL, methinks).

In my CVS checkout gnumed/html/users-manual is empty. I looked at 7 of the
12 html files under gnumed/html/developers-manual

gnumed/server/bootstrap had no README or .html file. Where else should I
bee looking for the installation manual?

> > Oh and it tells me "Look at the log file" but WHERE is the log file?
> Upon startup bootstrap tells you where the log file is.

You are correct, and I apologize for not noticing it before.

> > I can't seem to find it. I even went through the code for gmLog and passed
> > a --log-file on the command line, to no avail.
> Works for me right now.

Here's what happened:

1) I was not seeing the "the log file is at ..." line right after the
   command.

2) I tried passing --log-file=foo and foo never appeared in my current
   directory.

Apparently if you don't pass the full path (i.e. ./foo) then gmLog tries
to open an invalid path because of an uncreated directory:

$ ./bootstrap-gm_db_system.py --conf-file=gm-debian-postinst.conf --log-file=foo
command line log file
[/usr/local/src/gnumed/gnumed/server/bootstrap/bootstrap-gm_db_system/foo]
cannot be opened
$ pwd
/usr/local/src/gnumed/gnumed/server/bootstrap

This appears to be a bug to me. I would expect a behavior where the app
just logs to the current directory if a full path is not passed, and of
course creates its default log file if no --log-file is passed.

> > With the bootstrap-public_db.conf I get the error after the password.
> What does it say.

The database name will be "gnumed-test" which is expected to not exist prior to
running this script.
Cannot bootstrap services.
Please check the log file for details.

Remember that I was not seeing the line that pointed to the log file.

-Roberto

--
+----|        Roberto Mello   -    http://www.brasileiro.net/  |------+
+       Computer Science Graduate Student, Utah State University      +