Re: [Gnumed-devel] installing and using gnumed

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] installing and using gnumed
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 20:55:30 +0100

> I would suggest outputting the log file name again if there was an error,
> to help the user. Something like this:
Good idea. I was thinking about doing this after reading your
post. However, it is not entirely trivial. The logger is a
class holding "pointers" to various kinds of log targets, one
of them being a file. It needs some lifting to just get the
file targets to print their location (or to get at their
location).

> I'd be happy to provide a patch for this if the project managers feel this
> is a useful addition.
You are most welcome. The place to dig in would be
gnumed/client/python-common/gmLog.py

> Hopefully this will be better with PG 7.4 and its numerically-coded error
> messages.
Not in the least. The problem lies in that it is not possible
to *tell* psql to use one type or another for user
authentication. One can only make suggestions. And there's no
way passing in a password via a command line option should
psql decide that it needs one (due to the target PostgreSQL
pg_hba.conf setup).

> In my CVS checkout gnumed/html/users-manual is empty. I looked at 7 of the
> 12 html files under gnumed/html/developers-manual
Unfortunately this is older stuff still hanging around. No one
ever came around to integrating it into the "real" docs.

> gnumed/server/bootstrap had no README or .html file. Where else should I
> bee looking for the installation manual?
gnumed/client/doc/*

> You are correct, and I apologize for not noticing it before.
Never mind. It's quickly scrolled off the screen by subsequent
messages from psql.

> 2) I tried passing --log-file=foo and foo never appeared in my current
>    directory.
Sorry, that was a bug I fixed yesterday :(

> Apparently if you don't pass the full path (i.e. ./foo) then gmLog tries
> to open an invalid path because of an uncreated directory:
exactly

> > What does it say.
>
> The database name will be "gnumed-test" which is expected to not exist prior
> to running this script.
> Cannot bootstrap services.
> Please check the log file for details.
>
> Remember that I was not seeing the line that pointed to the log file.
I know :-)