Re: [Gnumed-devel] gnumed ideas 0.1 and post-0.1 (was Time for a major r

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] gnumed ideas 0.1 and post-0.1 (was Time for a major re-think in 2005)
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 07:52:14 +0100

> - vendors will crap (is this term used outside N America?) on FOSS
Nothing we can do about that.

> They will either
> - -  view it as a "possible solution"about  which "some users /
> clinics / centres remain enthusiastic" which may cause these
> decision-makers to give preference to this "known, proven(?) entity"
> which can put GnuMed at a competitive disadvantage to get established
> especially for things like "seed money" and especially if OSCAR
> becomes more established, --OR--
If it fits their bill, fine. It doesn't fit mine. I have no
intention to compete with OSCAR. Most people drive standard
cars. Not all of them would need an SUV with built-in dremel
regardless of whether they know that.

> The doctors can be a source of advocacy for what will meet their
> needs, ideally in a robust fashion so our challenge is to get their
> attention.
I agree.

> I was thinking that a browser might be deployable in a
> short enough time frame to permit catching up to some of OSCAR's
> basic functionality
Some have pointed out that writing a robust web app isn't a
piece of cake either.

>, so that potential users (or decision-makers over
> pilot projects) could have their choice of OSCAR or GnuMed.
Taking a look at the web frontend is all nice and well but

a) they will not notice the robustness of the backend (as
   would be the case with any frontend they look at)
b) what good is it to let them look at a web frontend and then
   tell them "well, yeah, but that's not what we
   recommend/focus on/think should be used" ?

However, again, I have no problem with the web app being there.

> I was NOT
> thinking of a browser as a stepping stone to a browser growing into a
> primary long term solution... just as a flexible means of providing
> early PARTIAL access to GnuMed. I WAS thinking as a stepping stone to
> ESTABLISH GnuMed as something deserving more consideration, and its
> ADOPTION by enough groups to remain viable.
I suppose I am just not competitive enough. You know, studying
martial arts I tend to see "competition" like this: Either it's
serious and only one of us is going to be walking away at the
end of the day (eg when you ambush me you better be serious
about it). Or it's not worth the trouble and I'd prefer
working *with* rather than *against* you.