Re: [Gnumed-devel] gnumed ideas 0.1 and post-0.1

From: Karsten Hilbert
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] gnumed ideas 0.1 and post-0.1
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 21:27:00 +0100

> That certainly gave me pause. A pilot for the anticoagulation clinic
> is almost certainly more achievable (less work yet to do / shorter
> time frame) than to have a web app developed, yes?
Hm, given a dedicated and skilled web programmer it might take
less time. It might. There's the rub.

Doing both takes double the time, however. And doing a web app
(besides I can't do it) means double time to me since I will
not be satisfied with a web app myself.

> >b) what good is it to let them look at a web frontend and then
> >   tell them "well, yeah, but that's not what we
> >   recommend/focus on/think should be used" ?
> A web frontend (even if it is read-only) could be invaluable when
Ah, what an excellent twist! Read only ... It may certainly
appear quite magic to be able to view a patient's EMR while
doing a home visit right from their own machine ... :-)

> Even something basic would contribute to (as Tim put it in  January)
> the *plausible promise* of more to come.
Agreed.

> A person could be a wonderful performing artist, about whom no-one
> knows because they cannot get a booking or "on the table". They may
> disdain corporate / commercial aspects of the industry, especially
> "manufactured" successes, and may prefer to quietly hone their craft.
> A Chinese woman who started out "assigned" to be a foot juggler has,
> over time, achieved great acclaim as a magician, and such success
> stories do happen. But that is an individual story, also it took her
> 15-20 years.  Some might say "you want something now, use Oscar" but
> I would rather say "if I can help to get parts of GnuMed running in
> 6-12 months, I would rather do that" :-)

I have no grudge with anyone "properly" promoting GnuMed in
any way they see fit. I am just saying I ain't any good at
such stuff myself.