Re: [Gnumed-devel] choice of web frameworks

From: lkcl
Subject: Re: [Gnumed-devel] choice of web frameworks
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 13:06:16 -0700 (PDT)

Sebastian Hilbert wrote:

> I wonder if this helps since we need to poll the availability of the
> client
> which does not have a direct connection through libpg. The web app would
> need
> some code to pretend someone is active (e.g. a dummy request every 5
> minutes
> or so) If that request does not come through (webapp or browser closed)
> then
> the session/thread would be killed.
>
> This topic is interesting since it not only shows that the web was never
> designed to have applications but also that generations of programmers
> have
> modeled their needs around the web instead of modeling the web around
> their
> needs.
>
> I am really looking forward to seeing some proof of concept code that it
> is
> indeed possible to hook the normally stateless web to the stateful
> serverside.

well, i think i have finally done it.  it's not perfect, but you can
demonstrate conceptually that it's working.  i even managed to fix lynx in
the past few minutes: i have had to modify the back-end server so that it
supports HTTP keep-alives, even on error messages.  the standard
SimpleHTTPServer.py does not do this.

now that the example SimpleJSONRPCServer.py can support HTTP keep-alives on
all incoming connections, it will now of course, when "talked to" by the
proxyapp server, keep the thread (actually process - i used ForkingMixIn)
permanently alive.

this approach will totally separate and isolate each gnuweb client from each
other.  any psycopg2 logins in one back-end process will NOT be accessible
to any other user.

l.