Re: Advertisement for gnustep

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: Advertisement for gnustep
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 08:55:03 +0200

Am 13.09.2006 um 02:22 schrieb Nicola Pero:

Just good will and appealing to it alone is not enough. Thats maybe
makes you feel better but you won't reach a single target that way.

Well, it will draw attention, at least.  A lot of people will examine
the website and some of them might find the project interesting.
Others might discover that GNUstep is a liberation effort and may
decide to join, just like the GNU Classpath has attracted developers
(that are freedom fighters).  And  I really hope that it will attract
users, they're desperately needed.

I have to agree with Yavor here.  I mean remember the advert/notice is
supposed to go on the GNU website! People reading the advert will be exactly the kind of people who Yavor mentions, ie, GNU advocates, "freedom fighters" (or wannabe freedom fighters). :-)

Perhaps a hint to the nature of GNUstep would be a good idea:

,----
| Please contribute as user and developer to GNUstep[link], a free
| object-oriented framework for application development in the heritage
| of NeXTstep, and help it achieve the status of a complete and
| featured desktop environment.
`----

This should be hint enough GNUstep isn't some fancy experimantal stuff but based on proven, solid design. Since NeXTstep is neither a current nor a target OS, freedom fighters won't be disattracted, still people with commercial stuff in mind have a reason to take a closer look.

my $0.02
Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/