gzz-dev

Re: [Gzz] Coordinates, shape

From: Benja Fallenstein
Subject: Re: [Gzz] Coordinates, shape
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 12:41:54 +0200

Tuomas Lukka wrote:

So,
a) is that system ok for what you need in the demos? Or do you need the more flexible approach already, where you can define clipping independently from translation/transformation?

Yes, we need, and especially without any clipping but with stenciling.

Ok, terminology problem: I see stenciling as a way to archieve clipping-- what word would you use for the general concept (i.e., drawing only the things inside a shape)?

Maybe we should make all clipping and stenciling explicit for now,
i.e. so that the view calls an utility routine that constructs
the clipped thing?

So you would suggest to do it *not* by cs, but by vob? That sounds difficult (would have to change the view hierarchy so that the lower levels know what the higher levels need clipped).

Would this work: Ability to attach a "clipping/stenciling" vob to every cs when created? When rendering the normal vobs, the clip/stencil vob(s) of all coordinate systems upwards in the hierarchy would already have been called. Or is that bogus?

b) How do we implement it? I.e., what code does set the clip area? (In AWT, the vob asks the VobRenderInfo for the clipping rectangle, then issues the clipping command itself, but somehow I got the feeling you won't like that for GL.)

No, since with stencils, it can be of *any* shape, even defined by a shaded texture.

Right, you want to use that already. Ok.

(Do you realize renderables.py is REALLY hard to understand in its undocumented state?)

Yes, unfortunately, I do.

Ok. :-)

There are vobs that take two
coordinate systems. Then, inside the vob, you just get the coordinates
appropriately. Naturally, this can't be done using callgl since
the coordinates have to be calculated on the C++ side.

Achso. So what do I use?

LineConnector or SmoothConnector

Ok.

Actually, a good stopgap measure might be simply to render the characters
at size 2^n instead of something like "40" currently. That could
improve it considerably. Also, have you tried __GL_FSAA_MODE ?
It helps a little.
I don't know how to turn it on...

At the point where the actual GZZGL font is created it is given a pixel
size (texel size).

So how do I use that to turn __GL_FSAA_MODE on?

The GZZGL texel size is height? width? both?