Re: nnimap splitting

From: phillip . lord
Subject: Re: nnimap splitting
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2020 18:58:08 +0000

On 2020-12-10 18:36, Pankaj Jangid wrote:
Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk> writes:

(setq gnus-select-method '(nnnil ""))
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '(
        (nnimap "localhost"
                (nnimap-address "localhost")
                (nnimap-server-port 143)
                ;; [...]
                (nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
                (nnimap-split-methods 'nnimap-split-fancy)

Don't quote 'nnimap-split-fancy in this line. In fact, it's possible
that you can do without this dance altogether -- the manual makes it
look like that's okay. Maybe take this clause out and see if it works,
and if it doesn't, put it back in but don't quote nnimap-split-fancy.

Alas no. I am still confused as to whether the server are being set at
all.

As pointed out by Eric, this is a quoting issue. I had some rough days
setting it up. But with help from others, I got to know this. I am not
using fancy splitting. I am using simple splitting and here is my setup:

1 (add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-methods ; codeisgreat.org
2            `(nnimap "codeisgreat"
3                     (nnimap-address "imap.gmail.com")
4                     (nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
5                     (nnimap-expunge immediately)
6                     (nnimap-stream ssl)
7                     (nnimap-split-methods ,nnmail-split-methods)))

Notice backquote on line 2 and comma on line 7. And
‘nnmail-split-methods’ is defined like this:

(setq nnmail-split-methods
      '(("cron" "^from:.*Cron Daemon")
        ("cron" "^from: OSSEC HIDS <ossecm@app0>")
        ("cron" "^from: OSSEC HIDS <ossecm@app1>")))

Just out of curiosity, why do you not use `(nnimap-split-methods default)` which should do the same thing without the backtick.

Unfortunately the quoting isn't my problem as I have tried it. I think I am looking in the wrong place and my configuration here is not the issue at all. I have no idea, unfortunately, what the issue is. If this is supposed to work in Gnus, I think, it is getting all the server information from somehwere else. NOt sure where!

Phil