Re: nnimap splitting

From: phillip . lord
Subject: Re: nnimap splitting
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2020 19:22:13 +0000

On 2020-12-10 18:58, phillip.lord@russet.org.uk wrote:
On 2020-12-10 18:36, Pankaj Jangid wrote:
Phillip Lord <phillip.lord@russet.org.uk> writes:

I think
I am looking in the wrong place and my configuration here is not the
issue at all. I have no idea, unfortunately, what the issue is. If
this is supposed to work in Gnus, I think, it is getting all the
server information from somehwere else. NOt sure where!

And this turns out to be the problem. I tried changing secondary-select-methods to this:

(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods
      '(
        (nnimap "localhost"
                ;;(nnimap-address "localhost")
                ;;(nnimap-server-port 143)
                (nnimap-address "i-dont-exist")
                (nnimap-server-port 'random-nonsense)
                ;; [...]
                (nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
                (nnimap-split-methods
                 (("temp" "^Subject: split-into-temp")
                  ("INBOX" "")))
       (nnml ""
              (nnir-search-engine notmuch))))

And Gnus still works, still looks up the nnimap back end, still access the email despite the clearly incorrect address and server port. It doesn't appear to be using the information here at all. Confusing as it is using the nnml information.

I am now officially very confused.

Phil